Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How many sides are in a government built triangle?

The Department of Commerce blog has a post about the Federal Triangle Partnership hosting a National Black History Month event. Reading the opening line of this post is like a concept lifted from Douglas Adams and his five book trilogy. Adams loved to skewer bureaucrats and their red tape love nests but this is like shooting fish in a barrel. The Commerce's post's first line is as follows:
Earlier this week, the Federal Triangle Partnership, consisting of the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Agency for International Development, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection, hosted its annual program commemorating the 2013 National Black/African American History Month.
Only Adams and the government would use four entities to make a triangle. One to make fun of bureaucracy and the other because it is a bureaucracy.You've also got to love how the first line mentions Black/African American History Month as an after thought of "Oh crap. We might offend someone by writing black. Shove that politically correct term in there." Meanwhile the headline just uses the insensitive "Black History Month."

I could be wrong on the politically correct concept. Maybe the Department of Commerce only wants to celebrate black people from Africa. If a black family emigrated here from Europe maybe the Department of Commerce just wants them to go back to their wine swilling cheese chomping continent. Maybe the Department of Commerce wants blacks from Asia to go pound rice up their ass. I don't know why they qualified "Black."

However, I dare them to make the article more appealing to Hispanics by using the Spanish translation "Mes de la Historia Negro."


3 comments:

  1. what the heck is wrong with wine swilling and cheese chomping?

    that's a mainstay in my house and i like to think of myself as a right wing conservative patriot republican cheese chomping wino.

    I agree with the rest of what you said, but now I'm compelled to go have a glass of Syrah and a lob of feta to contemplate my worthiness.

    Alphamail



    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what is wrong with wine swilling and cheese chomping. It's just the subtle message the Department of Commerce seems to be sending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling a bit peckish. I think I will curtail my walpoling activities, sally forth and infiltrated some place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles.

    ReplyDelete